Ahoy Matey!

Ahoy Matey!

Wednesday, May 11, 2016

How I Discovered: Musicals (part two)

I saw these two musicals early in my junior year.

Into the Woods
I saw Into the Woods as an accident on a date. We were going to see Selma, but had comically (romantically?) talked all through dinner and missed the showing we wanted to see. We walked into Into the Woods knowing nothing about it; in fact, neither of us even knew that it was a musical until they started singing. During "Agony," though, I had a breakthrough. My friend had described that exact scene to me weeks before. I cracked up and explained it to my date, who knew that friend and laughed quite a bit with me.
P.S. I got a second date after that.

Jekyll and Hyde
If Spamalot planted seeds, then Jekyll and Hyde was an invasive vine. I had promised to return to run track my junior year even after dropping cross country to audition for the fall play, but again I wonder how different life would be had I just auditioned. Junior year, the core of my friends outside of the track team were all involved in the musical in some way. I remember sitting on a bus with Jekyll/ Hyde himself and listening as he excitedly described one of the most intense scenes in the show. I remember thinking, "I have no idea what you're talking about, but I know it's going to be good."
As I sat in the audience on opening night, I started to hear some familiar lines and see some familiar movements onstage. It was that same scene he had described to me all those months ago.
Seeing my friends on that stage and realizing that I could very well have been there was the last straw. I would audition for the musical no matter what.

No comments:

Post a Comment