Ahoy Matey!

Ahoy Matey!

Friday, May 13, 2016

How I Discovered: Bahamas

In the fall of my sophomore year, I was asleep on my bed. It had been a long day. I was having some nice dream about something incredibly pleasant when I was woken up by a phone call from my friend Nathaniel. Curious, I thought, because I really didn't know Nathaniel too well at the time. Still half asleep, I greeted him. He asked me if I wanted to go to a Jack Johnson concert with him later that month. "Sure," I said, "yeah! Sounds good!" We then wrapped up the conversation and I went immediately back to sleep.
Upon waking up, I realized that I was going to a concert featuring an artist I knew almost nothing about. Turns out I had nothing to worry about with Jack Johnson, because his opener, a Canadian named Afie Jurvanen, was far weirder than Jack Johnson could ever be. He was sarcastic, oddly accompanied (his backing group was a drummer and two female singers)... and I loved him. His music is not what I typically listen to even today, but I have to respect his talent and strange onstage persona. My brother, coincidentally, latched onto Bahamas far more than I ever did and listens to him very often.

Favorite album: Barchords (2012)
Favorite songs: "I Got You Babe," "Hockey Teeth"

No comments:

Post a Comment