Ahoy Matey!

Ahoy Matey!

Monday, May 2, 2016

How I Discovered: The Beatles (Part Two: 1966-1970)


Oddly enough, Revolver reminds me of Canada. I listened to the album quite a lot during a vacation to New York and Ontario after I got it as a gift in second grade, but I've revisited it several times since. Every song on the album is innovative in some way, whether lyrically, technically, or compositionally.
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. Another triumph. I copied Jack's CD of Sgt. Pepper onto my computer as early as first grade, but it was one of the very first albums I bought when the Beatles remasters were released in 2009. I could write for hours and hours about how special this album is, but I will just say that I consider it and Abbey Road to be the two greatest albums of all time, period. "A Day in the Life" is a masterpiece in every sense.
I am not as familiar with Magical Mystery Tour, but it includes some truly legendary songs like "Strawberry Fields Forever." It is the only Beatles album which I never purchased in any form, as the way I listen to it is online via Spotify's streaming service.
My best friend Griffin let me copy his CD of The Beatles around fifth or sixth grade. It is the Beatles' weirdest album to me because of the wide spectrum of tracks it contains: "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" is a fantastic song that was only taken seriously when Eric Clapton was brought in to play guitar, "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da" is a classic despite its strangeness, and "Revolution 9" is just... Strange. My guitar teacher once said that the White Album (as it is often known) should have been released as one disc of serious songs and one disc of silly songs. I agree.
My brother and I owned Yellow Submarine Songtrack very early on, and in many ways I think it's a truer Beatles album than the official Yellow Submarine. Both include the same core of songs, but the Songtrack includes many that had not been widely available in the United States. The official soundtrack is 50% Beatles songs and 50% George Martin orchestrations, but in general it is a decent album. "Hey Bulldog" is one of the best Beatles rockers ever, in my opinion.
Let it Be must have been purchased around sixth or seventh grade. Paul McCartney thought that bringing in Phil Spector to produce the album was a mistake, as it resulted in an overproduced, cluttered album. While I agree that it generally lacks the heart of Abbey Road, which I consider the band's final album, I will say that "I've Got a Feeling" and "Get Back" are two songs which really do capture the spirit of the group at its peak.
Abbey Road is a masterpiece. Most days, it's my favorite album of all time. I had a copy of this album very early on, as I remember listening to it on full blast in the living room of my old house, but I can say for sure that I bought the 2009 remastered edition before my family's trip to the Philippines around Christmas of that year. It's easy for me to get carried away when describing this album, but it really cannot be overstated how well written, produced, and performed the music is. "You Never Give Me Your Money" is one of my favorite songs of all time by any group, and it's only one of the fantastic tracks found on Abbey Road.
1 is the first album I have any memory of; in fact, one of my earliest memories of anything is of this album. As of a week ago I still remember most of the tracklisting without having heard it in years. It's a greatest hits album, so it's not really fair to choose any song as my "favorite" from it, but "Ticket to Ride" is always a standout when I hear 1. This is the album that ensured that the Beatles were, in fact, the one constant throughout my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment