Ahoy Matey!

Ahoy Matey!

Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Other: Mmhmm


I do not like a lot of Relient K's music. They can feel overly poppy, forcedly nerdy (like Weezer), and just generally annoying. The song "Sadie Hawkins Dance" is a classic song to many of my friends and one of the band's most popular, but I absolutely hate it.
That being said, Mmhmm is one of my favorite albums of all time. Musically, it slides right in with bands like Paramore or Fall Out Boy with pop-punk and emo influenced riffs and production. Trevor and I have played a massive spectrum of songs together throughout the years, but songs like "Be My Escape" and "Who I Am Hates Who I've Been" keep reappearing time and time again."
Lyrically, it came along at the perfect time in my life. Sophomore year was a weird time for me, with a strange relationship, a more difficult academic schedule, a never-ending athletic schedule, and overall the pressures of trying to fit into a still unfamiliar school. Years from now, I may find Mmhmm silly and childish, but it captures precisely what I felt about life, relationships, purpose, and even religion.
Mmhmm and Paramore will always bring me back to tenth grade. To be honest, I doubt if I'll ever find two albums so perfectly timed in my life as those two.

No comments:

Post a Comment