Ahoy Matey!

Ahoy Matey!

Sunday, April 10, 2016

How I Discovered: Paramore


I was first really introduced to the group around sixth grade, even though I had been aware of their existence for years because of my brother's "emo" phase. My exposure to Paramore, like most of my exposure to music throughout elementary and middle school, was heavily influenced by my two friends Jack and Trevor; the three of us exchanged songs and basically created one large music library. I convinced Trevor to buy Riot! on iTunes, and it was this album that truly hooked me on Paramore with its heavy guitar, relatable lyrics (especially at the time), and generally new and young spirit.
In contrast to some of my other favorite artists like The Beatles or Queen, Paramore are a very recent artist. They released their first album, All We Know is Falling, in 2004 and rode the pop-punk/ emo wave of the mid 2000s with bands such as Cute is What We Aim For, Fall Out Boy, Panic! At the Disco, and other ridiculously named bands. Of course, the pop-punk wave crashed, and many of these groups found themselves without their fans, their relevance, or any real artistic output.
Not Paramore. Where Riot! allowed me to form my first really strong connection with the band, 2013's Paramore sold me on them being a truly great band. The album shows diversity of styles, lyrical and compositional maturity, and a fun, hopeful spirit throughout. The album was on repeat during my freshman and sophomore year, and because they are a modern band, I got to experience them in an unforgettable way: live and in person during the growing periods of the band.

Favorite album: Paramore (2012)
Favorite songs: "Grow Up," "Ain't It Fun," "Brighter," "crushcrushcrush"

No comments:

Post a Comment